A Legacy Of Multicultural Music For Children. Compiled and edited by Patricia Shehan Campbell, Ellen McCullough-Brabson, and Judith Cook Tucker.
A collection of 38 musical memories - songs and singing games - contributed by singers from 23 distinct cultures. Here is an around-the-world collection that offers you more than just a shallow encounter. These refreshingly unfamiliar gems of childhood include hand game songs, game chants, circle dances, lullabies, work songs, and songs for listening.
The collection includes selections from Brazil, Cajun, China, England, Eritrea, France, India, Korea, Japan, Puerto Rico, Malaysia, Mozambique, New Mexico, Israel, Vietnam, Cambodia, Kiowa/Comanche, Navajo, Russia, Iran, Ireland, Ecuador, and African-American traditions.
- Overview of each culture
- Mini-biography and photograph of each contributor
- Background notes and game directions for each game
- Original language, pronunciation, translation for each song
- Copy-OK musical transcriptions
- Copy-OK maps showing the country of origin for each song
- Copy-OK facts and figures data on easy to read charts for each culture area.