A clear, step-by-step approach for serious singers who want to improve their grasp of jazz harmony and gain a deeper understanding of music fundamentals. Covers all the instrumental, theoretical and ear training requirements that you need in order to gain control of the music you are singing.
Topics covered include:
- The basic piano skills necessary to accompany yourself.
- The harmonic basis of the melody of songs
- How to vary melodies
- How to develop a greater awareness of the important harmonic details of songs.
- How to write a lead sheet and how to evaluate the chord changes that are on a lead sheet
- How to hear tensions and chord tones on chords
- How to know and hear the appropriate chord scale for each chord change
- How to improvise from chord scales
- Ways to improve your intonation for scatting
Includes audio CD demonstrating many of the exercises in the book!