Part of Jim Mahaffey's The Ten-Minute Jazz Series
This is Volume 4 in the Series -- The Two-Five-One Progression
· After mastering lessons and skills learned in the previous volumes, Volume 4 teaches the popular ii-V-I progression in three settings. Students use learned skills for a ii-V-I progression (Cmi9-F9-BbMaj9) in Bb concert.
· A second setting transposes to Eb concert, a ii-V-I that leads to the IV chordEb, or Fmi9-Bb9-Eb.
· A third setting introduces students to a ii-V-I type of progression which leads to the relative minor on G, or Ami7(b5)-D9-Gm.
· The "flat 5" and diminished vii chord are discussed and plenty of examples aregiven. In each section, the modal sequence of dorian-mixolydian-lydian is stressed and practiced.
· The bonus chart, 251 Swing Street, teaches ii-V-I progressions and the swing style.