For Band, Choir, Orchestra and General Music Curriculum Writing 101
contains the blueprint and examples to help you build the right curriculum for your music program, demystifying the processes of developing a standards-based curriculum with related assessments of student learning.
This book provides help with three simple steps: S.O.S.
· Sequence curriculum throughout the year so that music understanding unfolds for the student instead of teaching from cover to cover.
· Organize curriculum and documentation of student progress - essential if you are to build on prior learning.
· Standards are here to stay - help focus the breadth and depth of learning that is to take place, producing better musicians over time.
· Overview of National and State Music Standards Documents
· Aligning District Standards to National or State Standards
· Suggested Activities for Each National Standard
· Sequencing Method Books, Literature, Theory, and Teaching Aids
· Designing an Organized Curriculum
Denese Odegaard has taught 5th through 9th grade orchestra for 28 years and is President of the North Central Division of MENC and past Secretary for ASTA.